“How do you know it's good enough to sell?”


The question was given “If you could ask 1 question to 1 author, what question would it be and what author?” during Man Love Day!  An event I participated this past Saturday, February 15, 2014.  Billy Cunningham had the question to ask me, “How do you know it's good enough to sell?

Sometimes I get questions that I need to ponder over for a few days or ones that I just cannot come up with an answer I am happy with or not something I want to answer.   Then there are questions that I think, how clever, I cannot wait to answer that.  Billy’s question was one of those ones I could not wait to answer.

In answering, “How do you know it's good enough to sell?  I have compiled a list of pointers and things that I think make up the answer to this question.  These are my own opinions and come from my own experiences.

Believe in Yourself.  You never know what will happen, unless you try. 

Get Advice.  You do not always have to take it, but you should ask for it.  Let people read your work and hear what they have to say.  It is important to not take what they say personal.  Breathe and roll with the punches so to speak. 

Appreciate Others.  It is easy to get frustrated or take for granted, wanting more, more, more!   If someone is willing to read your writing and offer corrections or help you with the most minute of details, be grateful!   Those who support your work, hold them close.   

Write the Story and Do Not Get Hung Up On Editing.  I’m my own worst critic.  I cannot tell you how many times I will get so focused on several idiosyncratic items that most people probably do not even notice in my writing (such as I cannot stand having paragraphs consecutively start with the same letter).  Then there is the feeling I am over using a word, which any good editor will note these and be grateful when they of suggestions for a new word.

Go Through Rounds of Edits.  You need another set of eyes to look at your work.   There is way too much that you would miss.   This might include rewriting part of the book, but in the end you will be glad you did!

Welcome Criticism and Recognize Assholes.  Nothing is worse than having people all around you telling you “it looks great!”  Only to find out through someone who has chosen your book to pick and read and they point out all of your shortcomings.

Market Yourself.  You need to be ready and willing to talk about and share your work with others.   

Try, Try and Try Again.  Do not give up if you do not succeed. 

Go For It!  You never know what will happen, unless you try. 

So there you have it.  These are what I feel is needed to know your writing is good enough to publish.  Thank you Billy Cunningham, for posing this question that you wanted me to answer for you.  I hope that this answer is helpful to you and others.

Comments

Popular Posts